Chiefs parade shooting: Latest news, updates as 1 person dies, 21 injured during Kansas City’s Super Bowl celebration

Kansas City’s Super Bowl parade came to an abrupt end Wednesday after a shooting left one person dead and at least 21 with gunshot wounds.

As the parade came to a close, police reported multiple shots fired near Union Station, the backdrop for the Chiefs’ stage. Three individuals were taken into custody following the shooting, Kansas City police chief Stacey Graves said at a news conference.

More than one million fans attended the Super Bowl parade in celebration of the Chiefs’ second straight championship, per multiple reports.

Here’s the latest on the incident.

Chiefs parade shooting news, updates

The shooting on the west side of Union Station left one person dead and at least 21 others wounded, including at least eight children, Graves said at a news conference Wednesday evening. 

Three people were taken into custody following the shooting, though police did not release details about those detained or a possible motive.

Kansas City radio DJ Lisa Lopez-Galvan, 43, was killed in the shooting, the Kansas City Star reported.

“This senseless act has taken a beautiful person from her family and this KC Community,” radio station KKFI wrote on its Facebook page.

Of the 21 people with gunshot wounds, eight were considered to have “immediately life-threatening” injuries, seven had life-threatening injuries and six had minor injuries, Kansas City fire department chief Ross Grundyson said at a news conference. Victims were transported to three local hospitals — Children’s Mercy Hospital, Truman Medical Center and St. Luke’s Hospital.

Children’s Mercy treated nine children with gunshot wounds, aged between 6 and 15 years old, and all are expected to recover, the Kansas City Star reported. The hospital also treated three more children for other injuries suffered at the parade.

Kansas City police and the FBI are jointly requesting anyone who has video from the scene of the shooting or of the shooters attempting to flee to share that video with them at this link.

“I just have one thing to say: This is not Kansas City,” Graves said of the shooting.

In a Thursday morning press conference, Graves said there was no connection to terrorism or homegrown violent extremism. She described the event as a dispute between several people that ended in gunfire.

Graves said there are believed to be 23 victims of the shooting with ages ranging between 8 and 47, and she confirmed the death of Lopez-Galvan. At least half of the victims are under the age of 16. She described two of the suspects as juveniles and said they have not been charged as of yet. The police has recovered several firearms from the incident. 

On Friday, two juvenile suspects were officially charged on gun-related and resisting arrest charges as announced in a Jackson County Family Court release, according to the Associated Press. The release also reportedly noted additional charges are expected to come at a later time. There had originally been three juveniles detained, but one was later determined not to have been involved in the shooting.

“I am grateful for the charges against the two juveniles who hurt innocent people, simultaneously scarring an entire community,” Graves said in a statement on Friday. “Our investigators have poured themselves into this investigation, and it continues. We will not relent until everyone who may have played a part in these crimes is apprehended so that they may be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

“This police department loves and is committed to Kansas City, and we resolve to bring justice to all victims.”

Security at the parade included 600 Kansas City police officers and 200 officers from outside agencies, Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said in the Wednesday news conference.

“We went out today like everyone in Kansas City looking to have a celebration. That celebration was marred by a shooting today,” said Lucas, who attended the parade with his wife and mother.

Lucas addressed the larger issue of gun violence in the United States.

“What you saw happen was why people talk about guns a lot,” Lucas said. “We had over 800 officers there, staff situated all around Union Station today. We had security in any number of places, eyes on top of buildings and beyond. And there’s still as a risk to people.

“I think that’s something that all of us who are parents, who are just regular people living each day, have to decide what we wish to do about it. Parades, rallies, schools, movies, it seems like almost nothing is safe.

“In a matter of seconds, someone who wants to disrupt anything, someone who wants to create any type of situation or someone who is very simply reckless, can change not just one life or two lives, but almost two dozen. And that to me is absolutely devastating. And it makes me feel vastly more concerned as a parent just in the world today.”

During the Thursday press conference, Lucas said Kansas City will continue to hold parades in the future despite some public concerns over safety at the Chiefs’ parade. He said the city still plans to hold its St. Patrick Day parade in March, and that if the Chiefs or Royals win a title, the city will plan to hold another rally.

“I do think that there’s a gun violence challenge in this community and many others, and there is certainly a gun violence challenge as it relates to major events,” Lucas said Thursday. “That however does not mean that Kansas City will stop having major events. We will do all we can to make sure people are safe, and that’s why I think you’re seeing so many people KCPD and the Kansas City Fire Department doing work to address that.”

The Chiefs released a statement condemning the actions that took place at the parade and confirming that all players, coaches, family and staff members were safe:

We are truly saddened by the senseless act of violence that occurred outside of Union Station at the conclusion of today’s parade and rally. Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and all of Kansas City. We are in close communication with the Mayor’s office as well as the Kansas City Police Department.

At this time, we have confirmed that all of our players, coaches, staff and their families are safe and accounted for. We thank the local law enforcement officers and first responders who were on-scene to assist.

Kansas City police first issued a report at 3:02 p.m. ET that shots were fired, just after the Chiefs finished their celebration on the stage outside Union Station. Ten minutes later, police issued an updated report, confirming the shooting and stating that two armed individuals were in custody.

As reports of the shooting emerged, fans could be seen fleeing the area on the local TV coverage and posts on social media.

Chiefs receiver Justin Watson told his family that the players and all families of players inside Union Station are safe, WTAE’s Andrew Stockey reported.

Donna Kelce, mother of Chiefs’ tight end Travis Kelce, reportedly told Kansas City Star reporters that the team got everyone to Arrowhead Stadium quickly.

“They got us out of there real fast,” Donna Kelce told the reporters.

Chiefs vice president of content and production Robert Alberino Jr. noted on X that team production and game day crew, cheer and flag teams, and mascots and drums were all accounted for after the shooting.

This post will be updated as further information is released.

Next Post

A look at Trump's lavish NYC real estate portfolio he may lose control of

Sat Feb 17 , 2024
Donald Trump — who was temporarily banned from being CEO of his namesake company Friday — spent decades growing the family business, in part by slapping his last name on some of New York City’s most iconic buildings. But the ruling by a Manhattan judge could see the former president […]

You May Like